The First Round of the Scholarship Award 2021 has now been completed. Application for the Second Round will open in Aug 2021.
Printer-friendly Information Sheet.
Congratulations to Max McDonnell for being the inaugural recipient of the Christian Leaders Scholarship in 2020.
The purpose of the Scholarship is to assist and encourage meritorious students who have demonstrated excellence in the fields of leadership and community service, to cultivate them to be the next generation of leaders in our society, for the service of the community and humanity. The scholarship is for study at University of Notre Dame Fremantle Campus and is tenable for the entirety of the recipient’s undergraduate degree.
The cash value of the Scholarship is $4,500 per annum, with a total value of up to $22,500 for a five-year degree. The fund will be paid as a cash stipend of $2,250 per semester. The amount can be used at the recipient’s discretion to contribute towards educational related expenses.
In addition, the Scholarship will provide the following:
- Fees and return airfare to attend the Lachlan Macquarie Institute’s week-long GPS/Download course (or an equivalent approved course). The GPS/Download course is held in NSW immediately after Year 12 studies and before commencement of University studies.
For more information, see https://www.lmi.org.au/gps.
- Fees and return airfare to attend either the Lachlan Macquarie Institute’s 12-week Leadership and Civil Society course or the 14-week Public Service course, to be held in Canberra immediately after undergraduate University studies. These courses are held yearly and attendance is subject to a separate and independent assessment process undertaken by the Lachlan Macquarie Institute. If unsuccessful on the first attempt immediately after their completion of their undergraduate University studies, scholarship holders may reapply for the next two subsequent years, until successful.
For more information, see https://www.lmi.org.au/leadership_and_civil_society and https://www.lmi.org.au/leadership_and_public_service.
To be eligible for the Scholarship, the applicant must:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Be a resident of Western Australia
- Be 17 to 19 years of age
- Be currently in Year 12 (ATAR) study or an equivalent pathway leading to University study. (Students currently undertaking a pre-university gap year are also welcome to apply.)
- Have attained a Year 11 minimum course average of 75% across ATAR subjects and maintained this achievement in Year 12 Semester 1 (and any subsequent semester and exams).
- Profess Christian faith. Application must be accompanied by a recommendation letter from the applicant’s pastor or priest.
- Demonstrate excellence in leadership and/or community service.
- Not be in receipt of another scholarship.
- Be willing to attend formation, fellowship and/or volunteer events with other Christian youths and scholarship holders.
- Be willing to provide feedback on his/her scholarship experience, if requested.
- Have enrolled in, or received an offer of admission to Semester 1 following the award year, into one of the following full-time courses at the University of Notre Dame’s Fremantle Campus. Where the applicant is yet to make an application or is awaiting an offer of admission, please provide proof of enrolment and/or admission as soon as they are available. (In the event where the successful applicant is subsequently enrolled in an ineligible course or a different University, the Scholarship may be withdrawn.)
- Bachelor of Arts (Major: Film & Screen Production)
- Bachelor of Arts (Major: Journalism)
- Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Journalism)
- Bachelor of Arts (Major: Politics & International Relations)
- Bachelor of Communication & Media
- Bachelor of Communication & Media (Major: Film & Screen Production)
- Bachelor of Communication & Media (Major: Journalism)
- Bachelor of Communication & Media (Major: Photography)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary)
- Bachelor of Laws
- Double degree or double majors including at least one of the above, with a full-time course length of no more than 5 years
The Scholarship Committee is responsible for the selection process and on-going administration of the Scholarship.
- The Scholarship will be advertised in the year of the award of the Scholarship.
- Two rounds of applications will be open each year. Round 1 commences in Term 1, with successful applicants awarded in Term 2. Round 2 commences in Term 3, with successful applicants awarded in Term 4.
- Written applications setting out compliance with the Eligibility Requirements and addressing the Selection Criteria must be made on the application form available from the Scholarship web site.
- Applications will be made via email to the Scholarship Committee. Application form and supporting documents must be received by the Scholarship Committee by the closing date.
- The Scholarship Committee may interview selected applicants if it wishes to do so.
- The Scholarship Committee will notify the successful recipient by email.
- If in any one year the Scholarship Committee forms the view that there are no applicants of sufficient merit, the Scholarship will not be awarded for that year.
- The Scholarship will be tenable for the duration of the recipient’s degree, of up to five years full time study.
- The Scholarship is not transferable to another degree, Notre Dame campus or another University.
Method of Payment
- Scholarship funds will be paid directly to the recipient.
- Scholarship funds will be paid at the beginning of each semester. All payment subsequent to the first payment will be dependent on the recipient continuing to satisfy the Conditions set out below.
The Scholarship will continue to be paid subject to the recipient:
- Attending the GPS/Download course (or an equivalent approved course) prior to the commencement of university course.
- Maintaining a minimum Distinction grade for all units undertaken throughout the university course; or alternatively, maintaining a Semester Weighted Average (SWA) of 75% or above for all semesters.
- Maintaining full time enrolment.
- Applying to attend either the Leadership and Civil Society course or the Leadership and Public Service course after graduation from university.
The recipient forfeits the Scholarship if he/she:
- Fails to meet the required minimum course average across ATAR subjects in Year 12 Semester 1.
- Fails to meet the requirements in a) to d) above.
- Is found to have behaved in a manner that fails to meet the minimum standards expected of a future Christian leader; including but not limited to, being in breach of the University’s Student Code of Conduct; or is the subject of disciplinary action under the University’s General Regulations.
- Repeatedly fails to maintain attendance at formation, fellowship and volunteer events with other Christian youths and/or scholarship holders.
- Discontinues the approved course; or transfers to another Notre Dame campus or another University.
- Takes a leave of absence from University study.
- Defers enrolment without the Scholarship Committee’s prior approval.
In the event that the recipient fails to comply with the Conditions set out above, he/she may make an application in writing to the Scholarship Committee, outlining the circumstances and reasons relating to his/her personal situation, in which case the Committee has discretion to determine the ongoing status of the Scholarship.
The Scholarship Committee may vary the Conditions of the Scholarship at any time, without notification to Scholarship applicants or recipients.
Scholarship recipients are required to submit at the end of each semester academic results of all preceding semesters to the Scholarship Committee. The Committee will notify the Scholarship recipients of the submission due dates.
Applications must be made via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Second Round of the Scholarship Award 2021 will open in August 2021. Application form and supporting documents must be received by the Scholarship Committee by the closing date in October 2021. Information on closing date and interview dates will be made available in July 2021.
Please direct all enquiries to email@example.com.